Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Candy Cane Moment!

I made a mistake when I logged on to Pinterest for the first time. I have become thoroughly and deeply addicted.  I have also become more motivated to attempt some of the crafty things I have always wanted to try.  My friend Kristan Gossen came over and while our husbands watched the baby, we were free to craft!  This is a little preview of a wreath that I found and fell in love with.  Mine is different then the one I found on Pinterest but I think it turned out pretty well.

My goal was to make this really cute yarn wreath using red and white yarn.  I searched for weeks to find a thick round styrofoam wreath as a base but to no avail.  Kristan and I ended up going to Lowes and buying some pipe insulation.  We cut it and duct tapped it to make our own wreath.  I have to admit, I was a little worried because it looked quite lumpy, however, once I started to apply my yarn, it helped to even out my little bumps.


After making my base, I used a little hot glue and started wrapping.  Just a little note...the hot glue will melt right through the styrofoam.  I ended up trying to hot glue only in places where I had duct tape.  It was also a good way to help divide my wreath so I would know when to switch colors.  I just used a dab of glue at the beginning and then again at the end of a color to hold it in place.  Wrap. Wrap. Wrap.




It also helps to have a great babysitter.  Drew and Ryan did a great job keeping the little bear so Mommy could craft.


Once all the yarn was applied, I added my embellishments.  Can I just say that I love hot glue.  Hot glue is my new favorite friend.


This was so much fun and it only took a couple of hours.  Thanks to Drew and Kristan for such a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment